New Forum

General CompSoc Forum

Moderator: Committee

cwalsh
Treasurer

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:12 pm

The old CompSoc forum was in a state of disrepair and hadn't been used in 6 years so the decision was taken to make a new forum.
This general forum can be used by society members to discuss any topics that they see fit.
It can also be used by prospective members to ask questions about the society.
The main reason that this forum was setup was for committee to have a private forum to assist with the running of the society, this committee forum is only visible to committee.
Since we had to setup a new forum anyway we decided to make a public society one too.

Enjoy,
Conor.
"I don’t care that they stole my idea . . . I care that they don’t have any of their own" - Nikola Tesla
CCollins
Committee

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:29 pm

This is great! Thanks Conor!
"Obnoxious quote that I probably didn't say" - Albert Einstein
Mcnabola
President

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Is the old forum wiped?

I know a lot of the information isnt that valuable on the old forum but it would be interesting for members to see archived posts of what life was like in CompSoc before this new Forum.

If there is some of the code / archive / (whatever format stuff was stored in) / files left I would volunteer to attempt to write a parser to save some of the posts and dump them neatly to a text file.
evancassidy
Committee

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:07 pm

I know this board and skynet don't really have sensitive information but could we get https, https://letsencrypt.org/ lets you get it setup easily. It might not benefit us that much but it doesn't hurt to have it.
chimaera

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:27 am

Mcnabola wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:58 pm
Is the old forum wiped?

I know a lot of the information isnt that valuable on the old forum but it would be interesting for members to see archived posts of what life was like in CompSoc before this new Forum.

If there is some of the code / archive / (whatever format stuff was stored in) / files left I would volunteer to attempt to write a parser to save some of the posts and dump them neatly to a text file.
The old forum was a phpBB instance, so if the database was backed up it should be possible to attach it to a new install of the forum software and integrate it with this one, or make its content available on a read-only basis for posterity.
cwalsh
Treasurer

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:47 pm

The database is still there but I think it's corrupted because I couldn't integrate it with this new forum.
But if @Mark wants to have a go at it I can give him an export of the database.
"I don’t care that they stole my idea . . . I care that they don’t have any of their own" - Nikola Tesla
EthylKed

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:25 pm

I have to say, this new forum looks very nice. A wise decision to move. A big thankyou to GaggedUtopia for taking this on.I do hope that it is a big success.Tiedash....
Attachments
205.gif
205.gif (2.92 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
EthylKed

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:55 am

we will experience no down time on this forum. Whilethe previous forum was good, and the updates were to be expected, itdid get annoying. But im sure this new forum will work out justfine.
Attachments
210.gif
210.gif (3.51 KiB) Viewed 15282 times